Berries and Vanilla Cream is an easy, plant-based version of a classic pudding dessert, typically made with milk, sugar, vanilla and cornstarch. The classic pudding recipe arose out of the British tradition of making something out of nothing. While the first puddings were made out of savory ingredients, they later started including fruits and nuts. American boiled sweet puddings started showing up in the 19th century, making them one of our favorite, classic comfort foods.
This super easy, healthy, plant-based take on the classic pudding can be whipped up in 10 minutes with only 5 ingredients (not including pantry staples). Nutrient-rich, low in fat, and sweetened with just a hint of maple syrup and the natural sweetness of berries, this is a treat (with only 136 calories) you can feel really good about! It’s also a completely gluten-free recipe for those that avoid gluten. Make up a batch of the vanilla cream pudding, top it with berries, and seal them up into mason jars to take with you for lunch on the go. In fact, this recipe is healthful enough you can serve it as nutrient-rich snack.
This recipe comes to us from Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk (i.e., soy, almond, hemp, coconut)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 cup assorted berries (sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries), fresh or frozen
1. Place cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan and gradually mix in plant-based milk with a whisk until smooth with no lumps.
2. Add maple syrup and vanilla and heat over medium, stirring constantly with a whisk until smooth (about 3 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and cool, stirring with a whisk occasionally, for 10 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and mix well before serving it.
4. To serve: Fill individual serving dishes with ½ cup cream pudding, and top with ¼ cup berries.