Fathers play an integral role in their children’s lives, or at least they should. There is something magical about dads when they walk in the room. Instantly they earn respect from their sons and daughters, and is why it’s imperative to become positive role models. It begins with teaching kids healthy eating practices and daily activity until the tutelage becomes a behavioral habit. The goal is for your seeds to carry this nourishing lifestyle into adulthood.
Here are five simple yet essential steps to healthier living for your children:
- Make a wide variety of healthful foods available and present in the house, such as oranges, apples, bananas, raisins, walnuts, coconut yogurt, and sunflower seeds. You will be amazed at how quickly they adapt when candy and sodas are nonexistent.
- Take your children grocery shopping and include them in the meal preparation. These activities will allow them to feel a sense of accomplishment and a desire to eat the foods they helped prepare. Also, explain why you add vegetables, fruits, and whole grains to the cart.
- A family that eats together stays together. Make mealtime fun and pleasant with whimsical conversation and humor. This is not the time for scolding or arguing. If you set up an uncomfortable environment, your children may attempt to eat faster to leave the table quicker. Subsequently, they may begin to associate eating with stress, and of course, fast food habits could be manifested.
- Discourage eating in front of the TV or computer since it will become difficult to pay attention to the feeling of satiety or fullness and lead to overeating.
- Never use sweets to reward your children for good deeds or behavior. When snacks such as donuts are gifted for accomplishments, it can psychologically cause the child to associate sugar and sweetness with accomplishment. Eventually, these treats will be looked upon as more valuable than healthier foods. For example, telling your child that dessert awaits if they eat all of their vegetables sends the wrong message about vegetables.
As a father, discipline must be your targeted platform. Everything you do is about teaching your child what type of behavior is acceptable and not acceptable. Be a good leader in your home by taking responsibility for yourself and your family’s health. Be a parent first and a buddy or friend second. Children need moral and ethical guidance and instruction from their fathers. One love!
Happy Fit Fatherhood!