The plant-based version of these yeasted waffles has a yeasty flavor reminiscent of sourdough bread, thanks to the yeast. Top with your favorite fruit, sweetener, or enjoy them plain!
This recipe comes to us from Catrina Muolo of @plantedfamilies.
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups flour of choice
- 2 cups plant-based milk of choice (Full fat coconut milk is a great option!)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal or chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
1. Mix yeast and 1/2 cup warm water together in a large mixing bowl and wait until you see bubbles forming on the surface.
2. Add flour, plant-based milk, olive oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt.
3. Mix well, cover with a towel and let sit overnight on the counter.
4. The next morning, add flaxmeal or chia seeds to 1/2 cup water in a bowl. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes.
5. Add baking soda and flaxmeal or chia seed mixture to the other ingredients and mix well.
6. Cook according to your waffle iron’s directions and enjoy!